There are two types of scholarships available to Asian Center’s Masters students: the AC Angara scholarship and the AC UP-funded scholarship. Under each type, there are grants for completion of course work, financial assistance for thesis writing, and travel grants for thesis writing.
Scholarships for Masters Course Work (AC Angara and AC UP-funded)
1. To qualify for scholarship, the student must:
- Be in good academic standing (i.e. must not be in violation of the maximum residency rule);
- Have a GWA of at least 1.66 in the program he/she is enrolled in;
- Not enjoy any other scholarship; and
- Sign the scholarship contract
2. To retain the scholarship, the student must:
- Be in good academic standing;
- Have a GWA of at least 1.66;
- Not enjoy any other scholarship;
- Have a load of 9-12 units per semester ;
- Not have an outstanding grade of INC as of the date of registration;
- Not have been given any disciplinary action worse than 5 class days suspension;
- Not have exceeded 5 semesters as a beneficiary of the same scholarship ; and
- Sign the scholarship contract.
3. The benefits of the scholarship are as follows:
- Free tuition and miscellaneous fees;
- Stipend of P1,200 per month  (excluding summer) or a total of P12,000 per year; and
- For AC Angara grantees – book allowance of P2,000 per semester or P4,000 per year;
For AC UP-funded grantees – book allowance of P1,000 per semester or P2,000 per year.
4. The obligations of the grantee are as follows:
- The grantee shall enroll for the semester immediately following the award of the grant. No deferment shall be allowed except for substantial and valid reasons and only upon approval of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs. Refusal or inability to use the grant shall result in the cancellation of the grant.
- For government employees, the grantee must serve the institution/organization he is affiliated with, or another government agency, 6 months for every semester that he/she is a scholar.
- If employed outside of government or unemployed at the time of scholarship, the grantee must render reasonable service to the university or the Asian Center without compensation through its extension programs, e.g. assist in trainings, conferences, publications, student affairs during the semester of the grant. The actual activities shall be determined through consultations between grantee and the Office of the College Secretary. A certification that service obligation has been satisfied must be issued by the Admissions and Scholarship Committee as part of clearance procedures for graduation.
- The grantee shall reimburse the total amount received from the university and in addition 20% penalty charge if he/she drops a course/courses during the semester and/or withdraws from the program for unjustifiable reasons and/or refuses to render reasonable service, for whatever reason.
Financial Assistance for Thesis Writing (AC Angara and AC UP-funded)
1. To qualify for assistance, the student must:
- Have successfully defended a research proposal or, if already in the writing stage at the time of application, have submitted a progress report certified by the adviser;
- Be on active status (i.e. currently enrolled); and
- Submit a recommendation from the thesis adviser indicating capacity of the student and potential contribution of the study to knowledge and development of Philippine/Asian studies.
2. The benefits of the thesis assistance are as follows:
- For Angara grantees: P15,000.00
- For UP-funded grantees: P3,000.00
3. The grant shall be disbursed as follows:
- 40% upon the approval of the research proposal;
- 40% upon the submission and acceptance of the first draft; and
- 20% upon passing the oral defense.
4. The obligations of the grantee are as follows:
- Submit a financial report and proof that he/she used the funds only for the intended purpose;
- Strive to abide by the highest standards of scholarship in the conduct of the thesis research;
- Reimburse the first disbursement equivalent to 40% if unable to proceed after the approval of the proposal within the maximum residence period;
- Reimburse the first and second disbursements equivalent to 80% if unable to proceed after the acceptance of the first draft within the maximum residence period.
Travel Grants for Thesis Writing (AC Angara fund only)
1. To qualify for the travel grant, the student must:
- Have successfully defended his/her thesis proposal;
- Be on active status (i.e. currently enrolled);
- Have a GWA of at least 1.50; and
- Have submitted a research plan and budget approved by the Admissions and Scholarship Committee.
2. The benefits of the grant are as follows:
- For field study outside the Philippines, a maximum of P45,000.00 per student, given as a lump-sum, to be used for airfare, inland transportation, pre-departure expenses, board and lodging, and other research-related expenses.
- For Philippine field study outside of Metro Manila, a maximum of P25,000.00 per student, given as a lump-sum, to be used for airfare, inland transportation, pre-departure expenses, board and loding, and other research-related expenses.
3. The grantee, upon return, has the following obligations:
- Submit a written report of the research trip within 30 days of return;
- Give an oral presentation of research experience in an appropriate forum to be determined by the Asian Center;
- Liquidate all expenses; and
- Reimburse the entire amount of the grant if unable to present an oral defense of the thesis within the maximum residence period.
 Students are required up to 39 units of coursework plus 12 non-credit units of language. Assuming that they have already earned a minimum of 6 units at the time of scholarship approval, 5 semesters should suffice for completion of other courses.
 For AC Angara grantees, the stipend is subject to increase in the amount of P2,500 provided they can show proof that they are financially needy (UP indicators: not exceeding P130,000 annual family income for Metro Manila; P117,000 for annual family income for other urban areas; and P110,000 annual family income for rural areas) and do not enjoy other benefits like leave of absence with pay from their institution/organization.
Page last updated: 19 August 2015