Ph.D. in Political Science, University of the Philippines Diliman
Contemporary China studies • China-Southeast Asia relations • Asia-Pacific security • Territorial and maritime disputes • Regional integration
- Ph.D. in Political Science, University of the Philippines Diliman
- M.A. in Asian Studies (China), University of the Philippines Diliman
- B.S. in Foreign Service, University of the Philippines Diliman
- Contemporary China studies (multidisciplinary)
- China-Southeast Asia relations
- Asia-Pacific security
- Territorial and maritime disputes
- Regional integration
- AS 235.2 Politics and Governance of China
- AS 235.1 Social and Economic Development of China
- AS 256 International Relations of Southeast Asia and ASEAN
- AS 211 Security Issues in Asia
- AS 212 Regionalism and Community Building in East Asia
- AS 299 Research Methods
- PS 201 The Philippines in the Asia Pacific
- PS 264 History and Development of Phil Foreign Relations
- PS 268 Philippine Relations with East Asia
- PS 279 Special Topics in Philippine Foreign Relations
- PS 285 Alternative Futures for Philippine Foreign Policy
- IS 209 Readings in International Studies
- QXGD Legal, Institutional, and Governance Framework of ASEAN (Universiti Malaya, Asia-Europe Institute)
2008. Regional Security in East Asia: Challenges to Cooperation and Community Building, edited by Aileen SP. Baviera. Quezon City: UP Asian Center.
2017. "Challenging Geopolitical Seascapes: Southeast Asia and the Big Powers in the South China Sea." In New Zealand National Security: Challenges, Trends and Issues, edited by William Hoverd, Nick Nelson and Carl Bradley, 74–89. New Zealand: Masey University Press.
2016. "Territorial and Maritime Disputes in the West Philippine Sea: Foreign Policy Choices and their Impact on Domestic Stakeholders." Public Policy 15 (2): 12–49.
2016. "The Philippines and the South China Sea Dispute: Security Interests and Perspectives." In The South China Sea Dispute: Navigating Diplomatic and Strategic Tensions, edited by Ian Storey and Cheng-Yi Lin, 165–85. Singapore: Institute of Southeast Asian Studies.
2016. "China's Strategic Foreign Initiatives Under Xi Jinping: An ASEAN Perspective." China Quarterly of International Strategic Studies 2 (1) Spring.
2016. "The Domestic Mediations of China's Influence in the Philippines." In Rising China's Influence in Developing Asia, edited by Evelyn Goh, 101–28. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
2015. 'Changing Dynamics in Philippines-China-U.S. Relations: The Impact of South China Sea Disputes.' In New Dynamics in U.S.–China Relations: Contending for the Asia Pacific, edited by Li Mingjiang and Kalyan Kemburi, 243–56. New York and Oxon: Routledge.
2015. "Defining the National Territory: Security and Foreign Relations Dimensions." Public Policy 12–13: 21–54.
2015. "Emerging Asian Communities in Contemporary Philippines." Asian Studies: Journal of Critical Perspectives on Asia 51:1, edited by Tina S. Clemente and Aileen S.P. Baviera.
2013. 'Territorial and Maritime Jurisdiction Disputes in East Asia: Comparing Bilateral and Multilateral Approaches.' In Bilateralism, Multilateralism and Asia-Pacific Security: Contending Cooperation, edited by William Tow and Brendan Taylor. New York and Oxon: Routledge.
2013. 'Filipino Media and Public Opinion on the Philippines-China Disputes in the South China Sea: A Preliminary Analysis.' Chinese Studies Journal (Philippines-China Relations: Sailing Beyond Disputed Waters) 10:132–171, edited by Teresita Ang See and Chito Sta. Romana. Quezon City: Philippine Association for Chinese Studies.
2013. 'Perspectives on Joint Development in the South China Sea.' A Preliminary Analysis.' Chinese Studies Journal (Philippines-China Relations: Sailing Beyond Disputed Waters) 10:195–213, edited by Teresita Ang See and Chito Sta. Romana. Quezon City: Philippine Association for Chinese Studies.
2012. 'Aquino in 2011: Pushing the Envelope, Single-Mindedly.' In Southeast Asian Affairs, edited by Daljit Singh and Pushpa Thambipillai. Singapore: Institute of Southeast Asian Studies.
2011. 'Multilateralism and ASEAN’s Engagement of the Great Powers.' In Emerging China: Prospects for Partnership in Asia, edited by Sudhir T. Devare, Swaran Singh, and Reena Marwah. Delhi: Routledge India.
2011. 'The Influence of Domestic Politics on Philippine Foreign Policy: The Case of Philippines-China Relations since 2004.' RSIS Working Paper No. 241.
2010. 'Accommodation with Hedging: Southeast Asia’s Changing Perspectives toward China.' In China’s Rise – Threat or Opportunity?, edited by Herbert S. Yee. London: Taylor and Francis Asia Pacific.
2009. 'Waltzing with Goliath: Philippines’ Engagement with China in Uncharted Waters.' In Living with China: Regional States and China through Crises and Turning Points, edited by Tang Shiping, Li Mingjiang and Amitav Acharya, 173–91. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
ESSAYS and COMMENTARIES
2017. "Duterte's China Policy Shift: Strategy or Serendipity?" Asia Pacific Pathways to Progress Foundation, Inc., 16 May.
2017. "Yes, We Live in Interesting Times." Asian Politics & Policy 9 (1):6–8.
2016. "Can anyone really rule the South China Sea?" The Straits Times, 20 November.
2016. "Arbitration Over, Time for China to Lead Responsibly." Global Asia 11:3 (Fall 2016).
2016. "Should Duterte step back on the South China Sea." East Asia Forum, 25 May.
2016. "Filipino American Ties Will Remain Strong." New York Times, 19 May.
2015. "Presidential Elections and the Country's Foreign Policy." UP Sa Halalan 2016.
2014. "Implications of the US-Philippines Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement." Asia-Pacific Bulletin 262, East-West Center, 9 May.
2014. "Growing Strategic Rivalry Among East Asia's Great Powers: Implications for Southeast Asia and the South China Sea." Kyoto Review of Southeast Asia 15, March.
2014. 'Domestic Interests and Foreign Policy in China and the Philippines.' Philippine Studies 62 (1): 133–143.
2013. 'China-ASEAN Conflict and Cooperation in the South China Sea: Managing Power Asymmetry.' National Security Review (The Study of National Security at 50: Re-awakenings), 202–205.
2011. "Power assymetry in South China Sea." Inquirer, 26 June.
2010. "Territorial Disputes in East Asia: Proxies for US-China Strategic Competition." East Asia Forum, 27 November.
ACTIVITIES: CONFERENCES ATTENDED, ETC
- Professor Baviera Talks about Gray Zone Conflicts in SCS in Paris Roundtable on War and Politics
- Professor Aileen Baviera Examines ‘Post-Arbitration Challenges for the Duterte Administration’ in ANU Conference
- Professor Aileen Baviera Attends Xiangshan Defense Forum, Lectures on PH-China Relations in Beijing
- Professor Aileen Baviera Receives UPAA Distinguished Alumni Award, Angara Fellowship
- Professor Aileen Baviera Discusses PH-China Relations, China-SEA Ties in Tokyo, Kuala Lumpur
- China’s Rise and Southeast Asian Security: Dr. Aileen Baviera Speaks in “Asia Future Conference” in Bali
- Dr. Aileen Baviera Lectures in Nanning, Attends Roundtable in Myanmar
- Watch: Professor Baviera’s Lecture on “Geopolitical Quandaries in the South China Sea” at Yale University
- Watch: Professor Baviera Discusses Foreign Policy Prospects Under Duterte Presidency