Dean and Associate Professor
Ph.D. in South Asian Studies, National University of Singapore
Indian studies • migration studies • Philippine culture and society • maritime history • Southeast Asian political economy
- Ph.D. South Asian Studies, National University of Singapore, 2012
- M.A. in Asian Studies (Southeast Asia), Asian Center, University of the Philippines Diliman, 2004
- B.A. in History-Community Development, University of the Philippines in the Visayas, 1997
- Indian studies
- Migration studies
- Philippine culture and society
- Maritime history
- Southeast Asian political economy
- AS 201: Asia in Antiquity
- AS 201A: Modern Asia
- AS 212: Regionalism and Community Building in Asia
- AS 250: Seminar in Southeast Asia
- AS 260: Seminar in South Asia 1
- AS 261: Seminar in South Asia (India)
- AS 254: Special Problems in Southeast Asia
- History 1: Philippine History (University of the Philippines in the Visayas -UPV)
- History 2: Asia and the World (UPV)
- History 154: History of Southeast Asia (UPV)
- PI 100: The Life and Works of Jose Rizal (UPV)
- History 157: History of Russia (UPV)
- A290: Kodiak Maritime History and Culture (University of Alaska-Anchorage-UAA)
- A250: The Rise of Civilization (UAA)
- History 122: East Asian Civilization II (UAA)
2018. "Ayush: Modi's Innovation in Indian Health Systems." The Philippine Journal of Health Research and Development 22 (4): 9–16.
2018. "Panyupayana: The Emergence of Hindu Polities in the Pre-Islamic Philippines." In Cultural and Civilisational Links between India and Southeast Asia: Historical and Contemporary Dimensions, edited by Shyam Saran, 93–106. Singapore: Palgrave Macmillan.
2018. "Beyond the Indian Ocean: India and its Blue Economy Partnerships in the South China Sea." In ASEAN-India Relations: A New Paradigm, edited by Rumel Dahiya and Udai Bhanu Singh, 110–120. New Delhi: Pentagon Press.
2018. "Old Relations, New Horizons: Reinvigorated Philippine-India Relations, 1992-Present." In Delhi Dialogue IX: Charting the Course for India-ASEAN Relations for the Next 25 Years, edited by Harsh V. Pant, 131–153. Observer Research Foundation.
2018. "Challenges to Implementing Mutual Recognition Arrangements (MRAs): Effects on Human Capital Mobility in Southeast Asia." CIFAL Philippines Discussion Paper.
2017. "Development of the Inter-Asia Cultural Studies' Summer School in the Philippines." In Philippine-Iran Relations: 50 Years and Beyond, edited by Henelito A. Sevilla, Jr., 105–114. Quezon City: Asian Center, University of the Philippines Diliman.
2015. "Migration and Business: A Survey of Indian Communities in the Philippines." Asian Studies: Journal of Critical Perspectives on Asia 51 (1): 75–97.
2014. "Growth and Government: The Rise of Information in India and the Philippines Technology Enabled Services’ Centres." In State, Society and Information Technology in Asia, edited by Alan Chong and Faizal bin Yahya, 187–210. Surrey: Ashgate.
2012. "Capitalizing on Cultural Connections: Indian Influences in the Philippines." Indian-ASEAN Dialogue. Indian Ministry of External Affairs.
2011. "Exploration or Implementation?: The Current State of India’s ‘Look East’ Policy." Foreign Policy Research Centre Journal 8: 86–99.
2011. "Construction, Negotiation and Reproduction of Identity: The Sikhs in the Philippines." In Sikhs in Multicultural Southeast Asia – Negotiating an Identity, edited by Shamsul AB & Arunajeet Kaur. Singapore: Institute of Southeast Asian Studies.
2009. Review of "Gandhian Political Economy: Principles, Practice and Policy" by B.N. Ghosh. Contemporary South Asia 17:2 (June).
2008. "Contemporary Indian Communities in Western Visayas." In Rising India and Indians in East Asia, edited by A. Mani, P. Ramasamy, and K. Kesavapany. Singapore: Institute of Southeast Asian Studies.