Dean and Associate Professor
Ph.D. in South Asian Studies, National University of Singapore
Indian studies • migration studies • Philippine culture and society • maritime history • Southeast Asian political economy
- Ph.D. South Asian Studies, National University of Singapore, 2012
- M.A. in Asian Studies (Southeast Asia), Asian Center, University of the Philippines Diliman, 2004
- B.A. in History-Community Development, University of the Philippines in the Visayas, 1997
- Indian studies
- Migration studies
- Philippine culture and society
- Maritime history
- Southeast Asian political economy
- AS 201: Asia in Antiquity
- AS 201A: Modern Asia
- AS 212: Regionalism and Community Building in Asia
- AS 250: Seminar in Southeast Asia
- AS 260: Seminar in South Asia 1
- AS 261: Seminar in South Asia (India)
- AS 254: Special Problems in Southeast Asia
- History 1: Philippine History (University of the Philippines in the Visayas -UPV)
- History 2: Asia and the World (UPV)
- History 154: History of Southeast Asia (UPV)
- PI 100: The Life and Works of Jose Rizal (UPV)
- History 157: History of Russia (UPV)
- A290: Kodiak Maritime History and Culture (University of Alaska-Anchorage-UAA)
- A250: The Rise of Civilization (UAA)
- History 122: East Asian Civilization II (UAA)
2015. "Migration and Business: A Survey of Indian Communities in the Philippines." Asian Studies: Journal of Critical Perspectives on Asia 51 (1): 75–97.
2014. "Growth and Government: The Rise of Information in India and the Philippines Technology Enabled Services’ Centres." In State, Society and Information Technology in Asia, edited by Alan Chong and Faizal bin Yahya, 187–210. Surrey: Ashgate.
2012. "Capitalizing on Cultural Connections: Indian Influences in the Philippines." Indian-ASEAN Dialogue. Indian Ministry of External Affairs.
2011. "Exploration or Implementation?: The Current State of India’s ‘Look East’ Policy." Foreign Policy Research Centre Journal 8: 86–99.
2011. "Construction, Negotiation and Reproduction of Identity: The Sikhs in the Philippines." In Sikhs in Multicultural Southeast Asia – Negotiating an Identity, edited by Shamsul AB & Arunajeet Kaur. Singapore: Institute of Southeast Asian Studies.
2009. Review of "Gandhian Political Economy: Principles, Practice and Policy" by B.N. Ghosh. Contemporary South Asia 17:2 (June).
2008. "Contemporary Indian Communities in Western Visayas." In Rising India and Indians in East Asia, edited by A. Mani, P. Ramasamy, and K. Kesavapany. Singapore: Institute of Southeast Asian Studies.
ACTIVITIES: CONFERENCES ATTENDED, ETC
- Asian Center Faculty Takes Part in International Deans Course Southeast Asia 2014/2015
- Dean Joefe Santarita Joins Board of Judges for 7th ASEAN Quiz National Competition
- Dean Joefe Santarita Outlines Eight-Point Agenda for the UP Asian Center
- Dean Santarita Discusses ASEAN-India Relations, The Blue Economy in Delhi Dialogue VIII
- Dean Santarita Looks at Historical-Cultural Links between the Philippines and India at New Delhi Conference
- Dean Santarita, Professor Tadem of the UP Asian Center Receive UP Diliman Centennial Professorial Chair Awards
- Dr. Santarita Lectures on Indian Influences in the Philippines
- The UP Board of Regents Appoints Joefe B. Santarita, PhD as Dean of the Asian Center