Doctor of Law in Political Science, Kyoto University
Politics • performance studies • Japan and Southeast Asia • Sama-Bajau studies VIEW FULL PROFILE
- Doctor of Law in Political Science, Graduate School of Law, Kyoto University, Japan
- Master of Law in Political Science, Graduate School of Law, Kyoto University, Japan, 1993
- Master in International Studies, University of the Philippines Diliman, 1989
- Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, University of the Philippines Diliman, 1985
- Performance studies
- Japan and Southeast Asia
- Sama-Bajau studies
- Japanese Politics and Governance
- Japanese Culture and Society
- Japanese Economic Development and Social Change
- Southeast Asian Culture and Society
- Philippine Artistic Expressions
- Philippine Intercultural Encounters
- Special Problems: Politics and Religion in East Asia
- Theater and Society in East Asia
- Readings in Philippine Socio-Cultural Studies
2016. "Necessary (Re)Unions: Revisiting and Revising Studies on the Sama Igal Dance and Kulintangan Ensemble Music Traditions." In Sounding the Dance, Moving the Music: Choreomusicological Perspectives on Maritime Southeast Asian Performing Arts, edited by Mohd Anis Md Nor and Kendra Stepputat. Routledge.
2016. "Temple of Dance? Interrogating the Sanskritization of Pangalay." Asian Studies: Journal of Critical Perspectives on Asia 52 (1): 13–37.
2016. "Reconfiguring Folk Performance for the Contemporary Stage: Sintang Dalisay and the Igal of the Sama-Bajau in Southern Philippines." In The Folk Performing Arts in ASEAN, edited by Narupan Duangwises and Lowell D. Skar, 311–31. Bangkok: Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn Anthropology Centre. Coauthored with Ricardo Abad.
2014. Sulu sojourns: Photo-ethnography and political discourses on four ethnolinguistic groups in the Sulu and Tawi-Tawi Archipelagoes. Philippine Political Science Journal 35 (2):136–57. Coauthored with Reuben Ramas Cañete and Marc San Valentin.
2013. From Tortillier to Ingsud-Ingsud: Creating New Understandings concerning the Importance of Indigenous Dance Terminology in the Practice and Kinaesthetics of the Sama Igal Dance Tradition. Asian Studies: Journal of Critical Perspectives on Asia 49 (2):116–53.
2010. “From the Philippines to Borneo and Back (Or, Is it the Other Way Around and All Over the World?!!): The Sama Dilaut Sangbay-Igal [Tribute Song-Dance] Performance across Real and Cyber Spaces.” Borneo Research Journal 4 (December):160–92.
2010. “Visual Signification of Multiple Identities in the Southern Philippines:The Case of the Mural Painting Competition in the Kamahardikann 2009 of Bongao, Tawi-Tawi.” Journal of Maritime Geopolitics and Culture 1:1 (December): 93–123 (co-author with Hanafi Hussin).
2010. “Igal-Pangalay: Reconstituting Culture via the Appropriation of Traditional Dances of the Sulu Sea.” Tirai Panggung 10:62–79.
2009. “Digital Fabulation: Examining Endemism and Hybridity in the Sama Dilaut Igal Dance Tradition in the Virtual Space of YouTube.” The Loyola Schools Review: Humanities 8:103–126.
2008. “Dancing with the Ghosts of the Sea: Experiencing the Pangkanduli Ritual of the Sama Dilaut (Bajau Laut) in Sikulan, Tawi-Tawi, Southern Philippines.” JATI 13:159–172 (co-author with Hanafi Hussin).
ACTIVITIES: CONFERENCES ATTENDED, ETC
- Sintang Dalisay Wins Silver Medal for Production in Intl Theatre Festival in Hanoi
- Filipinizing Romeo and Juliet: MCM Santamaria Takes Part in Asian Shakespeare Conference in New Delhi
- 'Reconfiguring Folk Performance for the Contemporary Stage' | A Book Chapter on Sintang Dalisay and the Igal
- Linguistic Analysis of Sama-Bajau Songs: Dr. Santamaria Presents Paper in Southeast Asian Performing Arts Conference
- (Re)presenting Ritual: A Reflection on the Approaches in Depicting the Sacred in Sintang Dalisay
- Film and Video as Source Materials in Dance Research: Professor MCM Santamaria Speaks at Brunei Information Resource Collection 2014
- MCM Santamaria Appointed OIC of the Asian Center on 1 April
- MCM Santamaria Named UP Artist II
- Pioneers and Legends: Professor MCM Santamaria Charts the History of the UP Asian Center
- Professor MCM Santamaria Conducts Sama-Bajau Igal Dance Workshop in Taiwan
- Professor Santamaria Examines Sama Ritual, Film in Malaysia Seminar
- Professors Cañete and Santamaria of the UP Asian Center, Editors of Humanities Diliman
- Professors Santamaria and Cañete Examine Igal, Pulilan Carabao Festival in Folk Art Conference in Bangkok