This page features select publications of Asian Center faculty and staff that are available for free. These include journal articles in open-access journals, and various opinion pieces, review essays, and commentaries that tackle politics, international relations, foreign policy, migration, cinema, and others. Please note that many of these links are not maintained by the Asian Center, and may thus become inaccessible at some point if and when they are moved or deleted. The Asian Center also publishes an open-access, peer-reviewed journal, Asian Studies: Journal of Critical Perspectives on Asia, where you can download articles on a variety of topics.
2018. Santarita, Joefe. "Challenges to Implementing Mutual Recognition Arrangements (MRAs): Effects on Human Capital Mobility in Southeast Asia." CIFAL Philippines Discussion Paper.
2018. Moratilla, Noel. "The Migrant Worker as Disposable Body: Testimonial Narratives from a Nongovernment Organization." Humanities Diliman 15 (2): 38–61.
2018. ———. "Exotifying Bodies: Self-Flagellation, Abjection, and Social Memory." Rupkatha Journal on Interdisciplinary Studies in Humanities 10 (3): 149–57.
2018. Nolasco, Janus Isaac. "Between Philippine Studies and Filipino-American Studies: The Transpacific as an Area and the Transformation of Area Studies in the 21st Century." Suvannabhumi: Multi-Disciplinary Journal of Southeast Asian Studies 10 (2): 89–114.
- Clemente, Tina. "The Economic Dimension in China's Foreign Relations: Reflections for China Studies in the Philippines." Contemporary Chinese Political Economy and Strategic Relations: An International Journal 3:3 (December): 1173–196.
- Baviera, Aileen. "Will The Real China Please Stand Up: A Southeast Asian Perspective on China's Growing Power and Influence." Originally appeared in Japanese in Gaiko 46 (Nov/Dec): 43–49. English version appears Asia Pacific Pathways to Progress Foundation, Inc.
- Baviera, Aileen and Maramis, Larry (eds.). "Building ASEAN @ 50 Vol 4: Building ASEAN Community: Political-Security And Socio-Cultural Reflections." Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia.
- Sevilla, Henelito, Jr. "China's New Silk Route Initiative: Political and Economic Implications for the Middle East and Southeast Asia." Asian Journal of Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies 11 (1): 83–106.
- Baviera, Aileen. "ASEAN @ 50: Challenges to Unity and Centrality." Asia Pacific Pathways to Progress, Inc. 6 September. Essay presented at a conference marking the 90th Anniversary of Southeast Asian Studies and Overseas Chinese Studies in Jinan University, Guangzhou, on July 15-16, 2017.
- Celero, Jocelyn. "Minami: Two Centerstages as One." In Moving Portraits: Life Stories of Children of Migrant and Multicultural Families in Asia, edited by Maruja M.B. Asis and Karen Anne Liao, 79–84. Quezon City: Scalabrini Migration Center.
- Powerpoint Presentations from Forum, "National Interest and the ASEAN Economic Communinity: Competition or Convergence?"
- Tadem, Eduardo. "New Perspectives on Civil Society Engagement with ASEAN." Heinrich Boll Stiftung Southeast Asia, July 12.
- Tadem, Eduardo. 2017. "The Marawi Crisis and the Challenge of Higher Education." Inquirer, 3 July.
- Tadem, Eduardo. 2017. "Challening ADB's Immunity." Inquirer, 6 July.
- Tadem, Eduardo. "Why the government TRAIN could derail." Inquirer, 23 June 2017
- Tadem, Eduardo and Manahan, Mary Ann. "Perils of an unrestricted rural land market." Inquirer, 7 June 2017
- Manahan, Mary Ann and Eduardo Tadem. "Going Bananas." Rappler, 17 May
- Baviera, Aileen. "Duterte's China Policy Shift: Strategy or Serendipity? Asia Pacific Pathways to Progress Foundation, Inc., 16 May
- Tadem, Eduardo. "Why RCEP is the Problem, not the Solution." Inquirer, 17 May.
- Tadem, Eduardo. "The Social Debt in Housing." Inquirer, 11 April.
- Tadem, Eduardo. "ASEAN's Attitude Toward Civil Society." Inquirer, 17 March.
- Baviera, Aileen. "Yes, We Live in Interesting Times." Asian Politics & Policy 9 (1): 6–8.
- Tadem, Eduardo. "Historic audit of illegitimate debts." Inquirer, 9 February.
- Talampas, Rolando. "Seeking Universal Health Coverage of Social Health Insurance in Three Asian Countries: China, Thailand, and Viet Nam." Philippine Institute for Development Studies Policy Notes 2016-22 (December).
- Talampas, Rolando. "Into the Heart of Darkness: The Bancas and Steamers in Rizal's Works and Letters." The Seafarer Times: Maritime News for Filipino Seafarers, 29 August.
- [Compilation] Download FREE: Powerpoint Presentations from PH-China Relations Symposium @ UP Asian Center.
- Clemente, Tina. "Understanding Economic Diplomacy between the Philippines and China." International Journal of China Studies, 215–33, August.
- Baviera, Aileen. "Arbitration Over, Time for China To Lead Responsibly." Global Asia 11:3 (Fall 2016).
- Santamaria, MCM. "Temple of Dance? Interrogating the Sanskritization of Pangalay." Asian Studies: Critical Perspectives on Asia 52 (1): 13–37.
- Tadem, Eduardo. "The Marcos Debt." Inquirer, 24 November.
- Tadem, Eduardo. "A Huk Vet in Libingan ng mga Bayani." Inquirer, 7 November.
- Tadem, Eduardo. "The Pitfalls of Special Economic Zones." Inquirer, 10 November.
- Tadem, Eduardo. "Can Duterte Fix Agrarian Reform?" Inquirer, 19 June.
- Tadem, Eduardo. "The Saga of the Teduray Sisters." Inquirer, 17 June.
- Baviera, Aileen. "Can anyone really rule the South China Sea?" The Straits Times, 20 November.
- Baviera, Aileen. "Should Duterte Step Back on the South China Sea?" East Asia Forum, 25 May.
- Baviera, Aileen. "Filipino-American Ties Will Remain Strong." New York Times, 19 May.
- Nolasco, Janus. "Seeing Conjunctions, Making Comparisons: An Essay in Honor of Benedict Anderson." Asian Studies: Journal of Critical Perspectives on Asia 52 (1): iii–viii
- Nolasco, Janus Isaac. "Pakiusap, Palusot, Pasaway" Inquirer, 12 May.
- Nolasco, Janus Isaac. "Reel Justice: Filipino Action Movies in a Time of Killing." Kyoto Review of Southeast Asia (Young Academic Voice), 1 December.
- Raquiza, Antoinette. "Consumption, Remittance, Service Economy Drive Philippines' Economic Growth." Asian Center, 10 May.
- Sevilla, Henelito, Jr. "To embrace the spirit of acceptance and tolerance." Inquirer, 8 April.
- Raquiza, Antoinette. "ASEAN and the Belt and Road Policy Initiative: Prospects and Challenges." Asia Pacific Pathways to Progress, 1 March.
- Tadem, Eduardo. "Inequality, Debt, and Tax Injustice." Inquirer, 6 March.
- Tadem, Eduardo. "Global economic downturn could affect PH." Inquirer, 24 February.
- Talampas, Rolando. Digong Duterte's Diaspora: How Much Will Development Matter in Filipino Outmigration. [Newsletter] European Network of Filipino Diaspora, 17 June.
- Raquiza, Antoinette. "The Silk Belt Road Initiative, 21st Century Maritime Silk Road and Regional Connectivity." [interview]. Asia Pacific Pathways to Progress, 22 February.
- Baviera, Aileen. "Defining the National Territory: Security and Foreign Relations Dimensions." Public Policy 12–13: 21–54.
Baviera, Aileen. "Presidential Elections and the Country's Foreign Policy." UP Sa Halalan, 9 December.
Clemente, Tina. "Connections, Contracts, and Sanctions: Informal Contracting in Commerce Among Chinese in Metro Manila." Asian Studies: Journal of Critical Perspectives on Asia 51 (1): 39–74 (Co-author: Marco B. Lagman).
- Ganadillo, Ivy. "Chinese New Year as a National Holiday: Towards Cultural Understanding in the Philippines." Asian Studies: Journal of Critical Perspectives on Asia 51 (1): 179–87.
- Nolasco, Janus Isaac. "To know and appreciate Asia better." Inquirer, 24 June.
- Nolasco, Janus Isaac. "Asian Studies for Filipinos: The Philippines in the Asian Century." Asian Studies: Journal of Critical Perspectives on Asia 51 (1): 164–78.
- Nolasco, Janus Isaac. "Review: English Only Please (2014)." Kyoto Review of Southeast Asia (March)
- Santarita, Joefe. "Migration and Business: A Survey of Indian Communities in the Philippines." Asian Studies: Journal of Critical Perspectives on Asia 51 (1): 75–97.
- Sevilla, Henelito Jr. "West Asian Communities in the Philippines: An Exploratory Study of Migrant Iranians, Jews, Arabs, and Turkish." Asian Studies: Journal of Critical Perspectives on Asia 51 (1): 98–129.
- Tadem, Eduardo C. "Marcos should apologize to Filipino farmers." Philippine Daily Inquirer, 2 September.
- Tadem, Eduardo C. "Why not a presidential candidate from the left." Philippine Daily Inquirer, 7 August. View.
- Talampas, Rolando. "Indonesian Diaspora Identity Construction in a Southern Mindanao Border Crossing." Asian Studies: Journal of Critical Perspectives on Asia 51 (1): 130–162.
- ———. "Shoot yourself in the foot: Philippine state and society in the 1997 and 2008 financial crises episodes." In The Global Financial and Economic Crisis in the South: Impact and Responses, edited by José Luis León-Manríque and Theresa Moyo, 207-31. Dakar, Senegal: CODESRIA.
- ——–. "Life and Times of Filipino Seamen During the Period of Spanish Colonialism." Working Paper Series No, 164. Southeast Asia Research Centre: City University of Hong Kong.
- Yoneno-Reyes, Michiyo. "Overcoming Language Barriers: Filipino/Japanese Youths as Transmigrants in the Philippines." Asian Studies: Journal of Critical Perspectives on Asia 51 (1): 1–38.
- Baviera, Aileen. "Implications of the US-Philippines Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement." Asia-Pacific Bulletin 262. Download.
- Baviera, Aileen. "Growing Strategic Rivalry Among East Asia's Great Powers: Implications for Southeast Asia and the South China Sea." Kyoto Review of Southeast Asia 15 (March). Download.
- Natividad, Maria Dulce. "Women's Month: Keeping up with Princess Nemenzo." Rappler.com, 9 March. Read.
- Nolasco, Janus Isaac. "All in the Family: Maids, Migrants, and 'Mango Brides." The Manila Review, Issue 4. Read.
- Sevilla, Henelito Jr. "Nationalization Scheme (Nitaqat) in Saudi Arabia and the Condition of Filipino Migrant Workers." Journal of Identity and Migration 8 (2):7–23. Available for download here.
- Tadem, Eduardo. "ASEAN's Elusive Integration." Talk of the Town, May 4. Philippine Daily Inquirer, A15. Available here.
- "The West Philippine Sea: The Territorial and Maritime Jurisdiction Disputes from a Filipino Perspective." Download.
- Cañete, Reuben Ramas. "A Preliminary Study of Five Ceiling Murals from Five Southeastern Cebu Churches." Asian Studies: Journal of Critical Perspectives on Asia 49 (1): 69–104. READ.
- Nolasco, Janus Isaac. "Between Heaven and Hell: Philippine Cultural Diplomacy after Dan Brown's 'Inferno'". READ.
- Sevilla, Henelito, Jr. "The role of the military and the rulers of the Gulf States in stabalizing or de-stabalizing Egypt." Islamic Societies Review, 17 July. Available here.
- Sevilla, Henelito, Jr. "Breaking Tough Diplomacy." Jakarta Post, 10 July.
- Sevilla, Henelito, Jr. "Attack on Syria, multilateral approach to resolving this crisis remains a crucial instrument." Islamic Societies Review, 27 August. Available here.
- Sevilla, Henelito, Jr. "Armed Forces: What’s Next for Morsi’s Egypt?" Islamic Societies Review, 8 July. Available here.
Last updated: 18 January 2019.