The Asian Center, University of the Philippines Diliman is looking for one (1) editorial associate for its Information and Publications Office, including the editorial office of Asian Studies: Journal of Critical Perspectives on Asia.
- Assist the Editor in Chief and Managing Editor in publishing Asian Studies: Journal of Critical Perspectives on Asia, a task that involves the following:
- Reviewing and copyediting manuscripts
- Promoting the journal through various marketing outlets
- Establishing formal linkages with journals similar to Asian Studies
- Soliciting manuscripts
- Communicating with authors, reviewers, and editorial board members.
- Help the Information Officer of the Asian Center, University of the Philippines Diliman
- Draft press releases for events, lectures, programs, publications, and student and faculty activities
- Disseminate invitations via email and social media
- Lay out images (Guidance and training to be provided)
- Manage content of the Asian Center and Asian Studies websites (guidance and training on Joomla to be provided) and social media pages (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter)
- Organize events at the UP Asian Center
- Create and manage administrative records (paperwork) and perform other administrative and research-related tasks that may be assigned by the Dean, Editor in Chief, and/or the Information Officer.
This is a position with no permanent item.
- BA or BS degree (at least)
- Excellent writing, editing, research, and organizational skills
- Willingness to learn new skills, take the initiative, and work with minimal supervision
- Ability to multitask and complete tasks efficiently/as needed
- Familiarity with MS Office applications (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), and cloud applications (Dropbox, Google Apps such as Drive, Sheets, Forms, etc.)
- Familiarity with the humanities and/or social sciences
- Must bring daily a laptop that can connect to the Internet
The editorial associate is required to work Mondays thru Fridays on an eight-hour shift.
- Curriculum Vitae with list of up to three (3) character references and their contact information
- One (1) colored scan or photo (PDF or JPEG) of official proof of graduation (diploma, transcript of records indicating status as a graduate, etc.)
- One (1) colored scan or photo (PDF or JPEG) of a valid government-issued ID (passport, etc.)
- At least three (3) samples of applicant's best academic writing (theses, drafts or otherwise, term papers, critical essays, etc. ). The author's name should be indicated not at the start of the paper/essay, but at the end.
- One (1) letter of application to the dean explaining how and why the applicant is suitable for the position. The Dean of the Asian Center is Joefe B. Santarita, Ph.D.
Candidates are also welcome to submit the documents in person at Room 205A, Hall of Wisdom, GT-Toyota Asian Cultural Center, Asian Center, Magsaysay Avenue cor. Katipunan Avenue, University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City. VIEW VICINITY MAP.
Professional Development Opportunities
As an editorial associate, he/she gets an opportunity to:
- Sharpen one's knowledge of the principles and practices of journal writing
- Meet professors from and be exposed to various disciplines
- Gain experience in graphic design
- Learn website content management
Deadline of application: 31 January 2017 (earlier set to "open until position is filled).
The Asian Center offers M.A. degrees in Asian Studies with four fields of specialization: Northeast Asia, Southeast Asia, South Asia, and West Asia. The Center also has an M.A. program in Philippine Studies that allows students to major in Philippine society and culture, Philippine foreign relations, or Philippine development studies. The Center offers a Ph.D. program in Philippine Studies in conjunction with the College of Arts and Letters and the College of Social Sciences and Philosophy. For an overview of these graduate programs, click here. The Asian Center also publishes Asian Studies: Journal of Critical Perspectives on Asia, the latest issue of which can be downloaded at the journal's website. For other news and upcoming events at the Asian Center, click here.