The UP Asian Center will host a symposium, Partnering for Development: Philippines-Taiwan Cooperation in the Services Sector on 19 October 2018, Friday, 2:00 pm–4:30 pm, Seminar Room, UP Asian Center, Quezon City. The symposium is free and open to the public, but participants are encouraged to sign up. Seating is first-come, first-served.
PRESENTATIONS (2:00–3:30 pm)
- “The Development of Economy and Trade of Taiwan and Taiwan-Philippines Cooperation Prospects” by Taiwan Institute of Economic Research (TIER)
- “Trailblazing Regional Economies through Microfinancing of Enterprises” by Prof. Mary Ann Gumban
- “Customer-centric Technology Applications in Commercial Services: Benchmarking the Taiwan Experience” by Dr. Erik Paolo Capistrano
- “BPO Operations in the Philippines and Taiwan: A Case Study of Open Access” by Ms. Jill Nagtalon
- “Mabuhay and Ni Hao: A Review on the Tourism Situation, Opportunities and Challenges of Taiwan and Philippines” by Prof. Victoria Villegas-Bacay
- “Strengthening Labor Cooperation Between Taiwan and the Philippines in Services Sector“ by Dr. Ronalee Asuncion
DISCUSSION (3:30–4:00 pm)
- Partnering for Development: The Philippines-Taiwan Cooperation in Services Sector
- Fostering Philippines-Taiwan Bilateral Economic and Trade Cooperation
ABOUT THE SPEAKERS
- Prof. Mary Ann Gumban is the Vice Chancellor for Administration of the University of the Philippines Visayas, and the former Dean of the College of Management.
- Erik Paolo Capistrano, PhD is Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas Professor of Business Administration and an Associate Professor of Operations Management and Management of Information Technology and from the Cesar E.A. Virata School of Business, University of the Philippines Diliman.
- Ms. Jill Nagtalon is Corporate Communications Manager at Open Access BPO.
- Prof. Victoria Villegas-Bacay is a faculty member of the Asian Institute of Tourism, University of the Philippines Diliman.
- Dr. Ronalee Asuncion is Dean of the School of Labor and Industrial Relations, University of the Philippines Diliman.
ABOUT THE SYMPOSIUM
The symposium explores a partnership opportunities between Taiwan and the Philippines in “finance and insurance, long term health care, tourism, construction and other related services” in light of similar economic trends in both countries, which have seen service-driven development in recent years. Read full concept note.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZERS
The symposium is organized by the UP Asian Center and the Taiwan Institute of Economic Research.
The Asian Center offers M.A. degrees in Asian Studies with four fields of specialization: Northeast Asia, Southeast Asia, South Asia, and West Asia. The Center also has an M.A. program in Philippine Studies that allows students to major in Philippine society and culture, Philippine foreign relations, or Philippine development studies. The Center offers a Ph.D. program in Philippine Studies in conjunction with the College of Arts and Letters and the College of Social Sciences and Philosophy. For an overview of these graduate programs, click here. The Asian Center also publishes Asian Studies: Journal of Critical Perspectives on Asia, the latest issue of which can be downloaded at the journal's website. For other news and upcoming events at the Asian Center, click here.