The Cultural Office of the Embassy of the People's Republic of China, in partnership with the UP Asian Center, will be holding a photo essay contest emphasizing the ideals of the “Silk Road Spirit” such as the openness, inclusiveness and harmony upheld by the Chinese. Deadline of submissions is on 31 May 2016.
According to the Cultural Office, “a historic development opportunity faces China and its various trading partners: the ancient Silk Road is instilled with new vigor and vitality. With openness and inclusiveness in mind as well as the local Chinese ideal of harmony, the Silk Road Spirit is revived in the modern day era through trade and cooperation through the countries that comprise “The Silk Road Economic Belt” and “The 21st Century Maritime Silk Road.” These ideas were on display through the works of the different photographers of the The Tempo of China exhibit. Along with this exhibit, a photo contest by the Cultural Office of the Embassy of China will also be conducted to continue emphasizing these ideals.”
- Any student from the universities where the photo exhibit was held is eligible to participate in the contest, namely: the University of the Philippines, De La Salle University, Bulacan State University, Ateneo de Manila University and Angeles University.
- The topic of the photo essay is related to the themes that the exhibit carries: openness, inclusiveness, harmony, mutual benefit, peace, cooperation, and mutual learning. All these are about unity of countries and peoples.
- There has to be subjective thoughts allowing the student to relate with himself/herself to The Silk Road and its ideas.
Submissions and Deadline
- The essay shall be typewritten on size A4 paper with 1” margin on all sides. Font: Times New Roman; Font size: 11.
- Deadline of submissions is on or before May 31, 2016, 11:59PM
- There will be two first prizes (return airtickets Manila-China), five second prizes ( Huawei mini pad), and eight third prizes (Huawei intelligent wrist ring ) in all. The final results will be announced on June 2016. The Chinese ambassador will be presenting the awards and prizes to the selected winners.
- Winning contestants will be contacted via email.
The UP Asian Center offers M.A. degrees in Asian Studies with four fields of specialization: Northeast Asia, Southeast Asia, South Asia, and West Asia. The Center also has an M.A. program in Philippine Studies that allows students to major in Philippine society and culture, Philippine foreign relations, or Philippine development studies. The Center offers a Ph.D. program in Philippine Studies in conjunction with the College of Arts and Letters and the College of Social Sciences and Philosophy. Get an overview of these programs. The Asian Center also houses a peer-reviewed, open-access journal, Asian Studies: Journal of Critical Perspectives on Asia. It has published several books and monographs, and hosts or organizes various lectures and conferences.