Ph.D. in International Studies, Waseda University, Tokyo, Japan
Room 204, Hall of Wisdom
Contemporary Japan Studies | Japan-Philippine Relations | Filipino Migration to Japan | Japan and Southeast Asia | Family and Youth Studies
- BSE Major in History, Philippine Normal University-Manila, 2002
- MA Asian Studies, (Southeast Asian Studies), University of the Philippines-Diliman, 2008
- MA Global Studies, Sophia University, Tokyo, Japan, 2012
- Ph.D. International Studies, Waseda University, Tokyo, Japan, 2016
- Japan Studies
- Filipino Migration to Japan
- Japan and Philippine (and Southeast Asia) Relations
- Social welfare, development and policy in East Asia
- AS 201 Asia in Antiquity
- AS 201 A Modern Asia
- AS 210 Theories and Perspectives on Area Studies
- AS 234 Special Problems in Northeast Asia (Social Welfare and Policy in East Asia)
- AS 234 Special Problems in Northeast Asia (Globalization and Society in East Asia)
- AS 236.1 Social and Economic Development in Japan
- AS 236.2 Politics and Governance of Japan
- AS 236.3 Society and Culture in Japan
- PS 215 Philippine Language and Cultures
- Life and Works of Jose Rizal (DLS-College of St. Benilde)
- Philippine History (DLS-College of St. Benilde)
- Introduction to Global Migration (Sophia University, Tokyo)
Forthcoming. "Philippine Foreign Relations: A Look Back in 2018." In 2018 Philippine Development Report, edited by Joefe B. Santarita and Noel Christian Moratilla. Hainan: Hainan Normal University.
2020. "Mixed Racial and Ethnic Classification in the Philippines." In The Palgrave Handbook of Mixed Racial and Ethnic Classification, edited by Zarine L. Rocha and Peter J. Aspinall, 693–709. Cham, Switzerland: Palgrave Macmillan (Co-authored with Megumi Hara).
2018. “Bonds, Bridges and Links of Hope: Migrant Support Organizations (MSOs) as Agents of Social Integration of Japanese-Filipino Families." In Thinking Beyond the State: Migration, Integration, and Citizenship in Japan and the Philippines, edited by Johanna Zulueta, 221–54. Manila and Sussex: De La Salle University Publishing House and Sussex Academic Press.
2018. “Growing Up in Transnational Families: Children’s Experiences and Perspectives.” In The Routledge Handbook on Asian Migrations, edited by Gracia Liu-Farrer and Brenda Yeoh, 250–63. London and New York: Routledge. Coauthored with Theodora Lam, Shirlena Huang, and Brenda S.A. Yeoh.
2017. "Minami: Two Centerstages as One." In Moving Portraits: Life Stories of Children of Migrant and Multicultural Families in Asia, edited by Maruja M.B. Asis and Karen Anne Liao, 79–84. Quezon City: Scalabrini Migration Center.
2017. "Rumi and Sachi: Sisterly Love that Binds." In Moving Portraits: Life Stories of Children of Migrant and Multicultural Families in Asia, edited by Maruja M.B. Asis and Karen Anne Liao, 85–90. Quezon City: Scalabrini Migration Center.
2017. “Mothering (in) Which Nation?” Parenting, Citizenship and Politics of Belonging of Filipino Mothers Raising Japanese-Filipino Children.” In Mothers, Mothering, and Globalization, edited by Dorsía Smith Silva, Laila Malik, and Abigail Palko, 183–208. Toronto: Demeter Press.
2015. “Towards a Shared Future?”: Transnational Identity and Belonging of Japanese-Filipino Families in Japan. In The Age of Asian Migration: Continuity, Diversity and Susceptibility Vol. II, edited by Yuk Wah Chan, Heidi Fung, and Grazyna Szymanska Matusiewicz, 67–94. UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
2014. “Bicultural Parenting in the Eyes of a Mother: Filipino Women’s Politics of Mothering Japanese-Filipino Children." In Migration and Creation of Multicultural Society in Japan, edited by Lydia Yu-Jose and Johanna Zulueta, 80–90. Quezon City: Ateneo de Manila University Press.
2018. "Fierté et honte: les émotions des enfants japono-philippins qui migrent pour études." Migrations Société 30 (172): 35–56.
2014. “In Fulfillment of Motherhood: An Exploratory Study of Migrant Mothers on Welfare in Japan.” Global Social Welfare 1 (4): 179–89.
2020. "Narrating belonging and intimacy through food: Sinigang and transnational Japanese-Filipino Families." Routed, Issue 11, 15 August.
2020. Review of Being a Mother in a Strange Land: Motherhood Experiences of Chinese Migrant Women in the Netherlands. Asian and Pacific Migration Journal 0 (0): 1–4. https://doi.org/10.1177/0117196820920741
2019. "Japan in Reiwa Era: Embracing Global Change in a Society with Foreigners" (世界的視野で変化受け入れを外国人と共に生きる社会に). Manila Shimbun, 4 April, p. 1.
2003. "Mga Hibik na Pumatak sa Batuhan." In Ang Aklat Likhaan ng Tula at Maikling Kuwento, edited by Domingo Landicho and Lilia Quindoza Santiago, 45. Quezon City: University of the Philippines Press.
QUICK LINKS: ASIAN CENTER FACULTY