Doctor of Law in Political Science, Kyoto University
Politics • performance studies • Japan and Southeast Asia • Sama-Bajau studies
- Doctor of Law in Political Science, Graduate School of Law, Kyoto University, Japan
- Master of Law in Political Science, Graduate School of Law, Kyoto University, Japan, 1993
- Master in International Studies, University of the Philippines Diliman, 1989
- Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, University of the Philippines Diliman, 1985
- Performance studies
- Japan and Southeast Asia
- Sama-Bajau studies
- Japanese Politics and Governance
- Japanese Culture and Society
- Japanese Economic Development and Social Change
- Southeast Asian Culture and Society
- Philippine Artistic Expressions
- Philippine Intercultural Encounters
- Special Problems: Politics and Religion in East Asia
- Theater and Society in East Asia
- Readings in Philippine Socio-Cultural Studies
2017. "Necessary (Re)Unions: Revisiting and Revising Studies on the Sama Igal Dance and Kulintangan Ensemble Music Traditions." In Sounding the Dance, Moving the Music: Choreomusicological Perspectives on Maritime Southeast Asian Performing Arts, edited by Mohd Anis Md Nor and Kendra Stepputat. Routledge.
2017. "Untitled Essay on Dance, Lighting and the Craft of Shoko Matsumoto." In Awareness of Light: Handbook and Archives of Technical Theater in the Philippines, edited by Naomi 'Shoko' Matsumoto and Cynthia Neri Zaya. University of the Philippines Press: 27
2017. "Observing Sacred Spaces: A Comparative Study of Two Sama-Bajau Ritual Sites in Tawi-Tawi, Southern Philippines." In Bajau-Sama' Language and Literature, Performing Arts (Music and Dance), Sama Dilaut Migration and Politics, Heritage and Material Culture, Identity and Representation, Ritual and Sacred Spaces: Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Bajau-Sama' Diaspora and Maritime Southeast Asian Cultures, edited by Mohd Anis Md Nor. Nusantra Performing Arts Research Center: 46-55
2016. "Pag-jamu Boheh Deya: Interrogating "Property" in the Sama Tabawan Music and Dance Ritual of the Sacred Well". In Bajau-Sama' Language and Literature, Performing Arts (Music and Dance), Sama Dilaut Migration and Politics, Heritage and Material Culture, Identity and Representation, Ritual and Sacred Spaces: Proceedings of the International Conference on Bajau-Sama' Diaspora and Maritime Southeast Asian Cultures, edited by Mohd Anis Md Nor. Nusantra Performing Arts Research Center: 145-159. Also published in Perspectives on Bajau/Sama Diaspora, edited by Mohd Anis Md Nor (2017): 193-2017.
2016. "Temple of Dance? Interrogating the Sanskritization of Pangalay." Asian Studies: Journal of Critical Perspectives on Asia 52 (1): 13–37.
2015. "Reconfiguring Folk Performance for the Contemporary Stage: Sintang Dalisay and the Igal of the Sama-Bajau in Southern Philippines." In The Folk Performing Arts in ASEAN, edited by Narupan Duangwises and Lowell D. Skar, 311–31. Bangkok: Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn Anthropology Centre. Coauthored with Ricardo Abad.
2014. Sulu sojourns: Photo-ethnography and political discourses on four ethnolinguistic groups in the Sulu and Tawi-Tawi Archipelagoes. Philippine Political Science Journal 35 (2):136–57. Coauthored with Reuben Ramas Cañete and Marc San Valentin.
2013. From Tortillier to Ingsud-Ingsud: Creating New Understandings concerning the Importance of Indigenous Dance Terminology in the Practice and Kinaesthetics of the Sama Igal Dance Tradition. Asian Studies: Journal of Critical Perspectives on Asia 49 (2):116–53.
2010. “From the Philippines to Borneo and Back (Or, Is it the Other Way Around and All Over the World?!!): The Sama Dilaut Sangbay-Igal [Tribute Song-Dance] Performance across Real and Cyber Spaces.” Borneo Research Journal 4 (December):160–92.
2010. “Visual Signification of Multiple Identities in the Southern Philippines:The Case of the Mural Painting Competition in the Kamahardikann 2009 of Bongao, Tawi-Tawi.” Journal of Maritime Geopolitics and Culture 1:1 (December): 93–123 (co-author with Hanafi Hussin).
2010. “Igal-Pangalay: Reconstituting Culture via the Appropriation of Traditional Dances of the Sulu Sea.” Tirai Panggung 10:62–79.
2009. “Digital Fabulation: Examining Endemism and Hybridity in the Sama Dilaut Igal Dance Tradition in the Virtual Space of YouTube.” The Loyola Schools Review: Humanities 8:103–126.
2008. “Dancing with the Ghosts of the Sea: Experiencing the Pangkanduli Ritual of the Sama Dilaut (Bajau Laut) in Sikulan, Tawi-Tawi, Southern Philippines.” JATI 13:159–172 (co-author with Hanafi Hussin).
ACTIVITIES: CONFERENCES ATTENDED, ETC
- Sintang Dalisay Wins Silver Medal for Production in Intl Theatre Festival in Hanoi
- Filipinizing Romeo and Juliet: MCM Santamaria Takes Part in Asian Shakespeare Conference in New Delhi
- 'Reconfiguring Folk Performance for the Contemporary Stage' | A Book Chapter on Sintang Dalisay and the Igal
- Linguistic Analysis of Sama-Bajau Songs: Dr. Santamaria Presents Paper in Southeast Asian Performing Arts Conference
- (Re)presenting Ritual: A Reflection on the Approaches in Depicting the Sacred in Sintang Dalisay
- Film and Video as Source Materials in Dance Research: Professor MCM Santamaria Speaks at Brunei Information Resource Collection 2014
- MCM Santamaria Appointed OIC of the Asian Center on 1 April
- MCM Santamaria Named UP Artist II
- Pioneers and Legends: Professor MCM Santamaria Charts the History of the UP Asian Center
- Professor MCM Santamaria Conducts Sama-Bajau Igal Dance Workshop in Taiwan
- Professor Santamaria Examines Sama Ritual, Film in Malaysia Seminar
- Professors Cañete and Santamaria of the UP Asian Center, Editors of Humanities Diliman
- Professors Santamaria and Cañete Examine Igal, Pulilan Carabao Festival in Folk Art Conference in Bangkok